Wednesday, August 19, 2015

#52 Ancestors Week 29 - Musical - Houchins Band


Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small has a weekly challenge to write the stories of your ancestors. This is week #29 and the suggested theme is Musical.  


I was on vacation and did not post this during the musical week.  However, I have this great photograph that I want to share.  

Houchins Coronet Band, Greenville, W.Va. c. 1897 - sons of Rufus and Clayton Houchins

Rufus and Clayton Houchins are brothers and their sons make up the Houchin Coronet Band. Rufus and Clayton are by 3rd cousins 3X removed. I just love this photo.

The Houchins Coronet Band was formed about 1897-98 in Monroe county,WV. It was started by nine members of the Houchins family there and included the sons of brothers Rufus, (born in 1829) and Clayton M.Houchins (born 1839). The band did not stay together very long but they did put on concerts that paid for the instruments.

I'm not aware of any other musical ancestors in my Houchin line. However, I do have a grandson that plays the tuba in the high school marching band.

No comments:

Post a Comment