Wednesday, March 18, 2015

52 Ancestors Week 11 - Luck of the Irish - John McClannahan


Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small has a weekly challenge to write the stories of your ancestors. This is week #11 and the suggested theme is LUCK OF THE IRISH. My ancestor this week is JOHN McCLANNAHAN.

While most of my ancestors on my mother's side are German, my paternal side has a little more vairety. One of my 2nd great-grandmothers is Martha McClanahan, an 8th great-grandfather is James McTeer, and a 3rd great-grandmother is Nancy McBride.  With names like that I must be part Irish.

I recently had a DNA analysis through Ancestry.com.  Here are my high level results: 
It's what I expected as far as being European - 99%.  But what about that less than 1% Irish. My European Jewish is higher than my Irish and I'm not aware of any Jewish ancestry. Looks like I have a lot more researching to do. I'll admit that DNA research is an entirely new animal to me.  Looks like a steep learning curve but one I will approach in the near future.

But it did have me looking at my  Irish ancestors.  My closest Irish ancestor - Martha Emmaline McClanahan -  was born in Indiana on 13 April 1823 in Vanderburgh County. She married Jesse Gross Davis in 1842 in Pike Co., IN.  In the 1880 census she indicates that her father was born in Ireland.
Martha's sister Elizabeth also indicates her father was born in Ireland.  But that is the only documentation I have on their Irish ancestry.  

The story that has been handed down is that John McClannahan came to America with his wife from Ireland. However, she died during the voyage.  I need a little of that "Luck of the Irish" to find information on his immigration.  He married Sarah Ring in Vanderburgh county in 1821. She was born in England. They had five children born between 1823 and 1836. The 1830 census indicates he is between 30 and 40 years of age. And this is the only documentation I have on John.  In 1837 Sarah McClannahan marries David English.  The 1850 census shows the blended family, however Sarah is again widowed. 
So there are still many questions about my Irish ancestor.

I'll leave you with this Irish Blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment