Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Where Were They 100 Years Ago? part 2

Where Were They 100 Years Ago?


This week Randy Seaver's SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGY FUN  challenge is: Where were they 100 Years Ago? 

1)  Determine where your ancestral families were on 18 May 1919 – 100 years ago.

2)  List them, their family members, their birth years, and their residence location (as close as possible).  Do you have a photograph of their residence from about that time, and does the residence still exist?

My last post had my Bovenschen ancestors and this post will my Grandfather Moehlmann's side.  This line had three ancestors living in 1919.  My Great great grandfather, Frederick August Henry Moehlmann, 1868-1941, was living at 526 E Sanders Street in Indianapolis, Indiana according to the 1919 Indianapolis phone directory:


According the  1920 census, Fred is a boarder in the home of Henry and Elizabeth Hemmelgern and their three teenage sons.  As far as i know there is no relationship between the two families and Henry works in a saw mill while Fred works for the railroad.  In fact Fred had lived at three different addresses since the death of his father in 1911.  After his divorce in 1907 he had lived in the home of his parents.



Fred's ex-wife, Mathilda Tendick 1872- 1970, my great grandmother, was living in 1919 on the family farm in Greene County, Indiana.  In the household was her son Alfred (1894-1974) who had just been discharged from the Army in January and her brother Dedrick.  Mathilda's mother had just died in October 1918.  This is the only picture I have of the small wood frame house, taken in 1918.


So far I have accounted for six ancestors on my maternal side that were living in 1919. In the next post I will look at the ancestors on my paternal side.






No comments:

Post a Comment