Tuesday, January 15, 2019

On This Day - January 15

SAULSBURY McLEAN HOUCHIN was born on January 15, 1948 in Illinois.  His parents were William Jackson Houchin (1820-1854) and Elizabeth Gray Strange (1826-1891).  His father was born in Indiana and his mother in Kentucky and they were married in Illinois.  He most likely was named after his Uncle Saulsbury who died in Nebraska in 1917. He also had a cousin Salsbury, son of Ervin.  This Salsbury,  also named a son Salsbury.

I reaally didn't know anything about Saulsbury other than his birthday when I started this post. Several trees show that he died in 1953.  But then I found this article:

Jefferson City, MO

 I did know that his brother was John  Bourban Houcin as they were enumerated in the 1850 census in Logan County, Illinois in 1850.  After the death of his father, I had no other informaiton on Saulsbury. So this obituary started a search to find more information on Saulsbury.  And now I'm  confused.  It will take a while to sort out the various Saulsbury's. I could not find him in the Riverview Cemetery in Jefferson City. But I did find him in the 1930 census in White Hall, Illinois. He is listed as the uncle to the head of the family, Wm. F. Houchin.  He was listed as Silas Houchin, age 84 and single. So I don't think he was ever married.  But I can't find him 1860 -1920. So there will be more searching to be done to sort it all out.

Saulsbury Houchin is my 2nd cousin 3x removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment