Sunday, April 5, 2015

52 Ancestors - Week 13 - Different


Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small has a weekly challenge to write the stories of your ancestors. This is week #13 and the suggested theme is DIFFERENT. I am highlighting my grandmother - Bertha Lee (Houchin) Sargent.


I considered telling about her last week when the theme was the same.  After all we share the same middle name. We were both born in Indiana, both married in our early 20's, both had three children with three years between each of them.  But then I realized there was probably more that was different.  I don't remember her because she died when I was just six months old, but I have heard many stories about her.

Bertha Lee Houchin was born 16 Oct 1889, the ninth of eleven children, although three of her siblings died in infancy.  Bertha grew up on a family farm and her father also worked in the coal mines.  Bertha was married in 1909 and just two years later her father died as a result of an accident on the farm.  Bertha and Donald lived on a farm and he was also a coal miner. Donald's sister died in 1913 and they took in two of her children. Her own children were born in 1923, 1926, and 1929.  However, tragedy struck when Donald, Jr., the youngest child, died at age two and a half.  She also endured sending her oldest son, off to war in 1943.  She also rejoiced his return in 1946 and his marriage the same year.  Bertha died of cancer in 1951 at the age of 61.

I've never lived on a farm, or lost a child, or taken in the orphaned children of relatives.  I never sent a son off to war.  I have already out lived my grandmother and been able to enjoy watching my grandson grow up.  


Bertha Lee (Houchin) Sargent
from Sargent Family Collection
 

This is one of my favorite mementos of Bertha's. It is a postcard that Bertha sent to Donald in November 1909 just before their marriage in December. The left side say: "If to the glass this card you will hold, it's hidden meaning will be told." And in the mirror it says "I wish you were with me"  On the back she writes " Dear, How are you by this time I am OK. Would like to see you. Will close from Bertha Houchin (name written backwards)

No comments:

Post a Comment