Saturday, May 16, 2015

From Single Life to Benedict - Part 4 - While in Jasonville

Alfred Moehlmann's story "AS I WAS" continues.  His story is up to 1924 and the family is living in Jasonville, Indiana where he owns a filling station.  
"A lot happened while we lived in Jasonville – Jane and Tuney were born there. 


The picture left:  Harold "Bill", Esther "Jane", Avery "Abe" Moehlmann outside Jasonville home. Bill was born 1922, Abe in 1923, and Jane in 1924.

Picture below: Avery, Bill, Alfred Jr. "Tuney" born 1927.

 We sold the station at a good profit the fall of 1925 to the Indian Refining Co. (now Texaco) – I bought a new Model T Ford (California top) in 1924 and traded it on a new 4 door Chevrolet Sedan.  I went with Gene Sinders to Flint, Mich. to drive it back – We stopped in Detroit, took a ferry to Windom, Ont. and had some good beer over there.  I continued working at the station until the fall of 1927.  “Canary” Hostettler was working at the station and he & I learned how to make Home Brew, a pretty good substitute for beer.  We didn’t make it to sell – just for ourselves – However, Chars. Sinders, Willard Humphreys, Garret Schloot, Bill Froderman, Frank Freeman, Sam Bates (chief of police) and a few others had us make a case every week and on Saturday night we would go to the Jasonville Hardware and they would furnish a big supper in the basement and Canary & I would furnish the Home Brew. 
Some time or other, on a hot summer day I was in the kitchen having a cold bottle of brew and heard quite a bit of commotion outside, but since that was frequently the case, neighbor women gadding and children playing I didn’t pay any attention to it – Then I heard someone come in and I thought it was Mom, when I heard someone say, “I caught you this time.”  I turned around, saw a man I had never seen befor and said, “Yes you have, how about drinking a glass with me?”  He introduced himself as Rev. Jaberg and not to belittle him we drank 2 bottles, had a nice visit and he commented that he saw no wrong in a friendly drink like this with friends.  I found a lasting friendship with this man that lasted until his death.  After the sale of the service station I got back on my feet financially again.  Paid for our home and the balance we owed the Bank on the note for the station and had some money left over."  
Once again it appears that life is pretty good for Alfred. He has sold the filling station for a good profit, the house is paid for, and he has a new car. He also has a growing family that now includes four children. 
Ad for the 1924 Chevrolet Sedan




Rev. Elmer C. Jaberg assumed the position at the Saron Reformed Church in 1925 and served there until 1936. This article from the Linton Daily Citizen in 1945 is remembering Rev. Jaberg accepting the position 20 years previously.


Alfred wrote these memoirs in the early 1960's. He mentioned that Rev. Jaberg was a lifelong friend.  Here is his obituary in 
1953.
                          

The 18th amendment effective January 17, 1920, brought about Prohibition which lasted until 1933.We have already seen how Alfred got alcohol from the Murray Drug store when his first child was born, but now he is making his own "home brew." It seems that the local men have come up with a solution.  It appears that as long as the home brew wasn't being sold, law enforcement turned the other way.  





No comments:

Post a Comment