Friday, June 19, 2015

#52 Ancestors Week 24 - Heirloom

Amy Johnson Crow at No Story Too Small has a weekly challenge to write the stories of your ancestors. This is week #24 and the suggested theme is HEIRLOOM.  I am going to highlight an item that belonged to my grandfather Donald Sargent. I highlighted him back on week 15.


Donald married Bertha Lee Houchin on December 13, 1909 in Petersburg, Indiana at the age of 21.  He was a miner but they also owned a small country store which he operated with the help of his wife and other relatives. 

On their first anniversary the two exchanged gifts.  Bertha bought this gold pocket watch for Donald.


1909 Elgin Pocket Watch
A First Anniversary Gift from Bertha (Houchin) to Donald Sargent
Donald cherished the watch and did my Dad who received it when his father died in 1957.  Donald gave Bertha a gold necklace on their first anniversary and my Aunt Mary had that heirloom.



No comments:

Post a Comment